The Parliament adopted the Law “On State Registration of Human Genomic Information”.
The Parliament adopted the Law “On State Registration of Human Genomic Information”
The Parliament has adopted the Law “On State Registration of Human Genomic Information”. The Project of the Law has been submitted to the President for signing.
To begin with, according to the Project of Law No. 4265, genomic information means details of the genetic information of a person. The document stipulates that Ukraine will run compulsory and voluntary state registration of genomic information.
State registration of genomic information shall be compulsory:
- for those who had committed (or had been condemned for committing) intentional severe crimes: against the backgrounds of the national security of Ukraine; life, health, sexual freedom and inviolability of a human, in the sphere of drug trafficking, against peace, the safety of mankind, and international law and order;
- unidentified human corpses, their remnants, parts of human bodies;
- people unable to provide information about themselves due to health, age, or other conditions.
A voluntary (at will) registration of genomic information will be available for:
- all citizens of Ukraine;
- citizens of other states;
- persons without citizenship.
State registration of human genomic information shall take place in several stages:
- collection and preservation of human biological material;
- molecular-genetic study (examination) of the biological material;
- including the details in the Electronic register of human genomic information.
The Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine shall keep the register to ensure the processing, protection, and issuing of human genomic information from the register.
Interesting, within the martial law period, the Law prescribes a special procedure of compulsory biological materials collected from military staff, policemen, members of voluntary associations of territorial societies, etc. to enable a molecular-genetic examination of deceased persons, if necessary.